Review: Beauty & the Beast (live action)


We all know the story.
Many of us wanted to be Belle when we were young. She's smart and pretty and loves books. What's not to like? The movie did great in the box office, won a Golden Globe and was nominated for an Academy Award.

Now we get to see the movie in a new light.
I love the cast: Belle (Emma Watson), Beast (Dan Stevens), Gaston (Luke Evans) and LeFou (Josh Gad).

If you've seen some of Steven's work, you can really see him under all that CGI. And Emma didn't make me think of Hermione Granger. I love how well Evans fits the role of Gaston and how Gad has made LeFou funny smart and more likable.
And I love that the supporting cast is more diverse in color. It fits better in with our time and it teaches kids in a way, that we're all the same. After all, the cursed objects become human again at the end of the movie.

I also like the new song that are added to the movie. They give a bit more depth to the story and everyone gets their time in the spotlight. The explanation of why Beast is so arrogant is also a nice touch.

Image

I have to say, that the costumes and the world looks wonderful. I especially love the white dresses during the first dance in the ballroom. You immediately understand what's happening and it sets a tone for the rest of the movie.

Rating:
I give this movie a 4.8 mostly for the cast, costumes and world building. As to adaptation, it's a 4,
Recommendation:
It's a great movie for young(not too young 7+) and old. A nice way to spend some time with your child, or maybe to relive your childhood with friends or partner.

Have you seen the new Beauty and the Beast adaptation? If so, let me know what you think of it, in the comments below.

Komentarze