Review: The well of Ascension

This is the second book in the Mistborn trilogy. You can read my review of the first book The Final Empire HERE.




We start the book a few weeks after the death of Lord Ruler. The whole Empire is in chaos and Vin and her crew try to give Luthadel stability. The city gets surrounded by armies that want to take over the city and it's riches.
But there is another problem, the mists are killing people and no one knows why or how.

What I like about this series is the world building and the more 'human' characters. Both main characters struggle with emotions like self-doubt and longing, and the feeling of wanting to fit in.

It's great to read about the characters from the perspective of their friends and enemies. And to see how similar the problems can be for the characters even dough they face different obstacles.

I have to admit that this book was a slower read than the first one. Partly because I had only around an hour a day to read when I'm used to have a few. And partly because we start with politics and that doesn't keep my attention much.

Something I had a mixed feeling about was ZANE. Vin trusted him too much, and he told her too little. I felt sorry for him when he died especially when it turned out that he was controlled. The same goes for the kandra.

I liked that Vin could create a bond with the kandra even dough it was a trap. What I didn't like was how whiny the character seemed at times. I understand some of it, but most of the time all I wanted to do was to reach into the book and shake the kandra until he came back to his senses.

I loved the end because I suspected a bit but it still managed to surprise me.

Overal I give this book an 7/10

Have you read the Well of Ascension? Let me know in the comments below :)

Komentarze